Sunday, August 07, 2005 | By: danztilya

The 'Half-Blood' Review

So... I finally couldn't resist starting the book... I'm sorry but it was calling out to me!

After around two weeks of emotional turmoil, physical exhaustion and guilt-ridden studying and job hunting, I finally came back to one of the two hobbies that turn me into a drug induced state wherein I totally forget my surroundings and imagine vampires, werewolves and big-haired witches all around. No my dear friends HINDI ITO BAWAL NA GAMOT but the hobby I've never gotten over since the 3rd grade. Yes. It is reading for pleasure. So now I would like to do something I've never done by non-verbal means (I don't want to count Jonathan Livingston Seagull or The Little Prince), I'm going to review a book.

I don't want to put spoilers in here because, of course the people who haven't read it wouldn't be able to read my entry. :) Well there are SOME, but believe me when I say they're not that important. So it's pretty safe to read. My sister got pretty bored and hated the ending. I don't know if it was just that I hadn't read a book in a long time, but I devoured it like a thirsty man drinking a glass of cold water. I think the book was very refreshing. I hated the fifth book by the way. I felt it was too dark, gloomy, irritating and just goes ON and ON. I think the headquarters had something to do with it. Anyway, book 6 contained a lot of surprising twists, some events I had imagined to be a possible outcome but never dreamed JKR would actually write. It's nice to see the characters all grown up, experiencing things as normal teenagers on the way to adulthood, despite the fact that ever since that fated day when YOU started reading HP and TSS (or watched the movie) they had already had to make a lot of difficult decisions that the most trained citizen of magical London would have found nerve wracking. The romantic areas were quite expected, but I found them cute and actually made me nostalgic. I remembered the days when I had no idea AT ALL how guys think with regards to love, so that a single innocent brush of the hand could make me blush to the roots of my hair if only I could blush (never mind the homework tomorrow, or in THEIR case, the immensely evil being who, as always, wants to achieve immortality). Our dear, dear Harry has grown up a lot, but is still, regrettably, impulsive as ever. I guess if he didn't act on his momentary lapses of rationality, we wouldn't even get here anyway. And what is here? The point where you couldn't buy a copy of the book on its release date from Barnes and Noble unless you had a reservation. :) Actually, Harry also made a lot of choices that made me feel like hugging him while I was reading the book. He was sweeter than his usual self and to quote JKR's exact word, quite 'fanciable'. As to who the half-blood prince was, I'd already sort of guessed at it, but it was not obvious enough to be annoying. I loved the way the supporting characters took on the roles of people from everyday life despite the fact that they were from the world of magic. Glimpses of the mothers who would take back their prodigal sons with open arms at the drop of a hat, of people who feel they don't deserve to be loved, or of those who try to get on with their lives but can't because they still feel love for someone they can't love, give the book its human side. And of course, friends who would stick by your side like glue no matter what, love you to no end, and still find the time to scold you for lack of better judgement, make those who have them so lucky, they won't need any potion to make a day better! Harry is still one of these lucky persons. And by the end of the book, you'll find out just how much his friends are willing to do for him.

So! I'm sure people would like to know what I feel about the ending. Well, I'm definitely at a loss for words. It's pretty stunning, and I'm sure quite devastating to the majority, but all in all I think it opens the door to a world of possibilities for the next book/s. As usual, there are still a lot of questions that need to be answered. My only hope is that the answers that JKR gives would be worth waiting for! Honestly, I had thought it would go downhill from book 5. Kudos to JKR for proving the Harry Potter series is still IT-THAT-MUST-BE-READ.

I give the book a 9 out of 10.

2 comments:

Jace said...

Hi baby! nice review! hihi mwah...

Anonymous said...

eeehhhh asar pa rin yung ending! heheheheh :) but I agree with everything else. :P