Thursday, September 08, 2005 | By: danztilya

A Few Months Before Yesterday

I stare irritatedly at the computer screen as I lose the battle for the nth time and load the last salvageable scene from the save states. Yeah that's right, I'm playing on an emulator, a gameboy advance emulator to be exact... a game called 'Fire Emblem'. Sometimes I wonder why I keep on playing these games if I get irritated anyway. I punch vigorously at my WingMan, a gamepad plugged onto a usb port. My aunt passes by and asks me where BoomBoom is (he's our cute pug dog). I tell her absentmindedly that he's with me, lying beside my feet. He starts breathing more heavily and lifts his head as if he somehow knows we're talking about him. I pause the game and I start to rub the puggy folds on his forehead. He looks so cute that I grab him, hug him and rock him back and forth like a little baby. He seems to enjoy it. I place him back on the floor and he immediately lies down again. Soon his eyes are closed.

It is now 9:30 in the morning, but I've been awake since 5 am, even though I slept around 2 am. This is how I am when I get addicted to something, more specifically, some kind of game. I turn back to my game and take on a different tactic than the last n times. My aunt has just been outside doing whatever and passes in front of me again, asking if I ate already. I tell her I'm not hungry because I finished the half-eaten Pringles I found lying around the computer (probably my brother's but I'm sure he won't mind heehee). I take a sip from my mug of iced Coke. During these addictive moments I also tend to forget how to eat healthy. My brother bustles around the house wearing a nurse's uniform, grabbing his other paraphernalia and as usual, looking for his wallet. He takes one look at me and my bloodshot eyes and widens his already large eyes "Grabe ka na! Anong oras ka natulog?" I yawn and shrug, I know the answer but I think it's sort of a rhetorical question so I just say "Haahaa." He asks again, "Natapos ba yung MP niyo?". Still staring at the screen and playing I answer "Oo kahapon napass na." Right after finishing a bunch of projects, I usually tend to do this. I over-compensate by indulging in my addictions. After he leaves with my aunt the house is pretty silent. My dad comes and goes, flipping on the TV to check for anything good, but he also leaves after awhile. It's Saturday but it seems everyone has plans in mind except me. Or at least, just for a couple of hours more until I'm done with the game.

After a few more war scenes I notice that it's already 11:30 am and that I'm getting a sort-of game-playing marathon headache. I reluctantly turn off the computer and lie down in my half-orange, half beige room for around 30 minutes. Nani (our helper) comes around and asks me what I want for lunch. I say I'm going out. She says okay and sits on the sofa in the inner living room, playing with BoomBoom while watching TV. After awhile I call Jace, my boyfriend. I hold the phone mouthpiece with my thumb and index finger because if I don't it makes an irritating sound. "Hello pwede po kay Jace?", "Sino?" I roll my eyes at myself "Ay, pwede po kay Jay-ar?" "Ah sandali lang." After a few moments I hear Jace's sleepy voice on the line, he muffles a yawn "Hello?" "Elo! So ano gagawin natin today?" "Dunno", he answers, obviously still a little sleepy. "Kakagising mo lang?" "Yup, kaw?" "Kanina pako gising naglaro ako ng Fire Emblem eh hehehe.." "Want watch muvi?", he asks. "Oki. What time tayo magkikita?" "Dunno, mga 2:30 sa Greenwich?" He means the Greenwich in Sta. Lucia mall. "Okay! Ligo nako." "Oki bye." I put down the phone and take a bath. After I'm ready it's a long hot walk to Tandang Sora and I contemplate actually riding a jeep this time. It's too hot. I can't. I flag down a taxi and tell the driver where I'm going. Thank goodness the airconditioning is good. I wipe off a few beads of sweat and relish the cool AC air. After awhile I realize I don't have any change so I ask the guy "May barya ho kayo sa five hundred?" He nods yes and I immediately feel better. Some drivers would bite my head off. The worst is when they call me "Iha" like some high school kid who has no idea what she's doing. I meet up with Jace and we take note of the movie time. We decide to eat at Tokyo Tokyo right before the movie because we have some time to spare and we're both famished. As we get up to leave he looks back at the table and sees that I left my wallet. He quickly grabs it without me seeing. After passing a couple of stores I dig in my bag and say "Nyek wallet ko!" He makes this weird sort of comedic Oh no! face and grabs my wallet from his pocket and gives it back to me. I grin sheepishly and put it back in my bag. Another victory for the wallet-losing queen. While we're watching the movie my back unfailingly starts to irritate me and I sit forward with my elbows on my kees and my fingers clasped in front. Jace abruptly starts to pound at my back, pretty used to my backaches by now. My cellphone starts vibrating and I check the message. It's Steph. "Pst san k?" She asks. I txt back "Nsa Stalu. Nood kme ni Jace. Eastwud ka? gs2 mo magkita?" She answers "Yup. Txt mo naman si Shelly. La nako batt." I text Mshel and she quickly answers "Pde ako pero near UP lang coz I have a meeting until 6:00 pm :S" So we all decide to meet up at Mocha Blends. Of course, insensitive girl that I am, I only tell Jace about the plans AFTER agreeing to them. Thankfully, he's pretty understanding and says it's no problem. After the movie we take a taxi to Mocha Blends. We are the first ones there so I order a mocha drink and we talk while waiting for everyone. Steph arrives and happily greets us "Elo!" She starts to tell us her stories for the week and we laugh and comment about them. It takes awhile before Shelly joins us. We bitch about her being too straight-laced about her extra curricular activities. As usual she only smiles sheepishly and launches into her own set of stories. We talk well into the night, ordering our favorite "Chicken Ala King" and eating as we do so. After that Jace and I take a taxi to my house. As we pay the driver we see BoomBoom hanging out at the bench outside our house. I call him "Boomy!" and Nani says "O sino yon BoomBoom?" At first Boomy's a little hesitant but walks over to me anyway. I pet him and we head into the house for a nightcap consisting of me bitching about my last battle in "Fire Emblem" and Jace giving me tips on how to finish the next ones.

After we say goodnight and I ask him to take care, I go to the computer and turn it on. I'm pretty beat so I decide not to play and turn it off again. As I walk to my room my aunt asks me a buncha questions that I absentmindedly answer coz I'm pretty tired. She makes a comment about dinner and some food she brought home. I say "WOW!" (my usual reaction to yummy take-home desserts) and I tell her I'll eat it tomorrow. She is watching Will and Grace so I hang around for awhile to laugh at some of the jokes. I then get in my room and lie down, falling asleep instantly. I had a nice day.

1 comments:

Jace said...

I miss my baby ashy so so much... huhu