Saturday, July 23, 2005 | By: danztilya

Are You Afraid Of the Dark?

It always amazes me.. The fact that I'm such a wimp when it comes to... well, everything! The only fear I ever got over was my fear of dogs. When I was a kid I would refuse to walk down the streets where neighbors had a lot of dogs running around. They never really bothered me (except once when I was bitten on my thigh, I was still very young). Finally, when we got a pet dog when I was in sixth grade (her name is Negra, Neggie for short), I got over the fear. Maybe it was because I started loving dogs.

But when it comes to my other fears, well, that's a different story. Recently I thought I'd gotten over my fear of the dark. Actually, I realized that that fear coincides with all my other fears. It's been awhile since I last saw a scary movie or scene, and it's also been awhile since I last read a book, so my fear of ghosts, psychotics, serial killers, aliens, trolls, goblins and whatnot, had receded to the back of my mind. However, my sister came yesterday and watched CSI with me again. Much to my chagrin, my fear of the dark came back. It's really my fear of the unknown, because of course last night, the overpowering thought was that I would turn on the lights and suddenly find a dead body in front of me.. blood spilling all over the floor. Quite a nasty thought, isn't it?

There's one fear I never can get over though. That's my fear of insects, especially when they're huge, airborne and nasty looking! Never mind that fireflies are JUST fireflies, you just never know if insects could also turn psychotic like people. PLUS, there are so many different species that you never know which one is REALLY nasty. I once got bitten by this huge bug and the swelling didn't go away until about a month after. Talk about icky.

For those people who've conquered most of their fears (or those that they know of), I certainly salute you. I hope one day I could be like you. But for now, here I am, signing off...

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scaredy Cat

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hihihi freaky nga ang psychotic insects!! don't be scared nuh bestie... *hugs*

-Steppie

Jace said...

Don't worry you'll get there...