Sunday, January 29, 2006 | By: danztilya

Just Like Heaven

I'm on the plane right now. I just watched 'Just Like Heaven' (Reese Witherspoon), and it must be one of the most heart-tugging movies I've ever seen (or maybe I'm just feeling emotional myself nowadays, which is why I can empathize with any hint of drama). When I first saw the trailer I just thought, 'Hmm looks like they pretty much gave away the ending already, what's the big deal it's a guy who fell in love with a freakin' ghost' ahahaha! It was a pleasant surprise though that I loved it so much I think I'd like to add it to my list of favorite romantic movies of all time. I think I like movies that show loss. I've also seen 'Return to Me' (David Duchovny and Mimi Rogers), which was also about a guy that lost the love of his life, and then found true love again in what can only be described as a fateful meeting. There's something about guys weeping their hearts out (or trying hard not to) that really gets to me. (Hmm, I don't even want to think about the supposed implications of this statement). Actually, my Humanities teacher (in her effort to read my journal project), referred to this phenomenon as the 'Florence Nightingale' in all women. I guess it means, women want to nurse wounded men (also explains the concept that 'women dig battle scars'). Anyway, real life doesn't usually involve comatose souls that wander the earth looking for their soulmates, or even kisses that bring people back to life. Now that I've come to think about it, I've never really believed in fate, or that somehow, somewhere, gears are turning that control how we will live our lives. I think I've always felt I'd rather have faith, than fate. A belief that there is a higher Being that loves everyone unconditionally, rather than there being an ultimate pattern to the universe and all the chaos in this world. Still, I enjoyed the movie though, and the idea of fate is also nice when it leads to the most beautiful moments in your life. Hmm I feel like I am rambling incoherently here, but I guess I'm just spewing out what's in my mind. (A good way to spend the last hour or so of my flight, which thankfully has NOT been delayed like before). A line in the movie sort-of got to me, I think Elizabeth (Reese) said something like 'All I remember about my life is working', and it just reminded me how important moments are in your life. we can't deny the fact that for most people (who have their own dreams and aspirations, or have the drive to get to them), work must usually come first. We can't deny it, a 9-5 pays the bills and gets you to places. I also remember a cab driver telling me 'What do you think about the fact that Europeans say Americans live to work?'. I had no answer to that, as I am not American. But I guess the point is that we must never find ourselves living to work instead of working to live. Always try to find things in life that make it more than everyday drudgery. In fact, right now I wanna list down some stuff I've seen that make it worth going out instead of working your ass off on the weekends:

1. The full moon (the one that's huge and orangey) in New York City
2. Fresh snow (aka powder) (I saw like 2 meters) on the ski slopes at Tahoe
3. The Chateaus in France
4. The lakeside areas in France
5. Embarcadero street and the piers in San Francisco
6. The view of Manila from Cloud 9 in Antipolo
7. Boracay, the sunsets and the beautiful bodies ;P
8. Quiet coffeehouses where you can drink coffee and read a good book, OR hang out and be loud with your friends, OR sit down and have a nice conversation with a special someone
9. Great clubs on Friday nights where you can surrender yourself to the music and exchange sweat with the persons dancing next to you
10. Sunlit walks in the park
11. Great food in equally wonderful places
12. Road trips where you can bond and/or get pissed off at your friends, then make up at the end.
14. Streetside cafes where you can eat pastries and go people watching, especially when you're in another country or state
15. Chateau d' Versailles and its amazing gardens
16. Mamma Mia! The funnest show I've ever been to

Stuff I wanna see:

1. Usher in concert
2. The pyramids in Egypt
3. The canals of Venice
4. Barcelona
5. A real-life Torii in Tokyo
6. Brad Pitt

Hmm pretty short list right now. I guess I'm not in such a dreamer state right now.. *sigh* I need breakfast..

0 comments: